Thursday, September 30, 2010

Gone South to Savannah, again


I’ll travel to Savannah for any reason, but September held a very special purpose for traveling to my favorite southern city: our oldest daughter, Taylor, is attending the Savannah College of Art and Design and so our journey there was to deliver her to her rightful destination. Since Taylor is our first to leave the nest, we were filled with joy in knowing she’s doing something very purposeful with her life. We’ll miss her in our home, of course, but for all you parents out there who will share in the letting-go of a child-turned-adult, it really wasn’t a bad experience…even if college is 950 miles away.

Keeping with tradition, the first place we always visit is The Crab Shack.  Yes, I’m talking about it again, but this place is amazing!  (Check out our previous post for more information on this fabulous restaurant) Again, I ordered the Low Country Boil ~ but this time we had visitors ~ the deck was alive with Fidler crabs!   Such a wonderful environment to enjoy wonderful food.  The seasonings in my dish inspired me to create my own blend….look for a whole new product line of r.u.b.s coming very soon (and I mean it this time!), along with several new h.e.r.b blends! s.a.l.t. sisters’ very own version of a low country boil seasoning is included in the debut!

On our way home, we lunched in Orangeburg, South Carolina, at Fatz Café. This restaurant boasts of locations throughout the Carolinas, Tennessee, Georgia and one in Virginia, and while our propensity is to dine at more out-of-the way restaurants, we were very happy with the meal we received. Jim ordered the Cajun Firecracker Sticks, which comprised of shrimp, sausage, onions, peppers, spinach and melted Jalapeno Jack cheese, all rolled in a tomato-basil tortilla, served with remoulade sauce. Jim said it was spicy good, with enough left over for the next day.

I chose the Pimento Cheeseburger with Fried Green Tomatoes. The burger was cooked perfectly and I love fried green tomatoes. My meal was also served with remoulade sauce; I’d eat about anything with this French-inspired condiment, but this combination was really delicious.

As you travel, give this small chain restaurant a try! Check out their website at www.FatzCafe.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment