Sunday, October 23, 2011

Mealy Apples Turned Delish!!

What do you do with those apples you bought from the store that ended up being mealy?  How about making apple butter?

I hate buying apples just to find out that they are mealy.  The girls won't eat them and I end up throwing them out.  This time I decided that I would try making apple butter. And it worked!  It wasn't difficult at all and it really didn't take much of my time.  It simmers on the stove for a while but I just had to keep my eye on it.  The result was fabulous!  Everyone liked it.  We have had it on warm rolls and cornbread.  Try using it instead of jam on your next PBJ.

Here's my recipe:

3 lbs apples, peeled, cored
enough apple juice to barely cover - could use water

Bring the apples and juice or water to a boil over meduim-high heat.  Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, until the apples are soft, about 20 minutes.

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice - that's what I had in my cabinet, you can use a combination of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and/or allspice

Stir in the rest of the ingredients.  Cook until the apples bread down for a very thick sauce.  About an hour.

Then I put it in the blender and let it go until it was completely pureed.  If the apple butter seems watery, return it to the saucepan and simmer until it thickens.  I had to do this.  Put it in a container with a lid and it will last for a long time in the refrigerator.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment