2 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces spicy Italian sausage
1 ½ cups onions, finely sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
4 Yukon gold potatoes, medium size, very thinly sliced (whole rounds, do not peel)
½ teaspoon ground pepper
5 cups Swiss Chard or Kale, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1. Add 1 tablespoon oil in a large stockpot. Add the sausage and cook thoroughly over medium high heat. Take the sausage out of the pan and put on a plate lined with paper towel.
2. Lightly wipe out excess grease in pan. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pot. Add the onions, sauté for 10 minutes or just until they soften.
3. Add garlic, sauté 2 minutes.
4. Add stock and water. Bring to a boil.
5. Add potatoes and sea salt. Reduce heat to a slow simmer. Simmer soup until the potatoes are tender. 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
6. Stir in ‘Swiss Chard or Kale and lemon juice and cooked sausage. Simmer 5 minutes.
*Note: I often replace the potatoes with Daikon radishes. Slice them thinly and cook just like you do the potatoes. It is a great low carb substitute.